Linus Galleries, Fine Art Gallery
2014 Artist Interview Series
Linus Galleries, a Los Angeles contemporary art gallery, presents The Artist Interview Series. Our Linus artists are from all over the world and come from a variety of different practices and backgrounds. Read on to gain insight into the creative process and personality of our featured artist. This week we are taking a closer look at the art of abstract painting with artist Katarína Kalmanová. who recently exhibited in our Vulnerability vs. Strength show.
1) Please tell us your name, artistic practice of choice, and location in the world. My name is Katarína Kalmanová. I currently live and paint in Bratislava, Slovakia.
2) Are you sclf taught or did you formally study art? I graduated from the Faculty of Education in Fine Arts at Univerzita Konštantína Filozofa, Slovakia. I have been painting more or less since I can remember, but around five years ago I decided to spend much more time with my hobby and share my art with others. I rented a studio, changed my previous job to a less time consuming one and finally began.
3) What is the first answer that comes to mind when you think of your favorite color?
All of them are definitely my favorite. I cannot choose only one because the combinations of more colors and mixing them together is what still fascinates me.
4) What subject matter appears most in your artwork? What do you love about that subject? What do you dislike?
Feelings and moments that touched my soul. In the artwork there is always something intimate, that is exclusively mine. I offer this intimacy to the viewer when I show my work and that makes me anxious sometimes.
5) What is difficult for you about your chosen medium?
I paint mostly acrylic, and very passionately. Many times I find it hard to wash out all of the acrylic around. My canvas is usually on the floor during painting. I prefer this rather than on the wall. If they are bigger I do a lot of exercise on them, so I feel physically tired after a few hours.
7) Which artist living or dead would you want to have a drink with?
I would choose Henri Matisse, who influenced me the most as a young teenager.
8) What musical artist/band are you currently listening to when you are creating?
Nouvelle Vague or ZAZ, or most recently the Slovak Folk Songs, which I also love to sing to my little son when he is accompanying me. These folk songs together with some fairy tales have even inspired me for my latest artworks.
9) Describe your “aha” moment when working with your medium that made you make that leap into another level.
This always comes unpredictably and it is a very mysterious moment for me . Typically, the sudden picture comes to my mind when I go to sleep. I try to sketch the picture immediately as not to forget in the morning.
12) Any parting advice for budding artists?
I taught myself – when I’m joyful about my art, then it can grow.
If you are interested in purchasing artwork from this artist or any of the artists featured on this blog or our website please CONTACT the GALLERY
Keep up with our news and updates with all of our following social media sites: